The Office of International Programs receives and processes initial applications from international students/scholars, and issues immigration documents for their visa applications. After the students/scholars arrive on campus, the Office supports them in their social and academic growth, as well as providing advice on US immigration rules and regulations.

Admission Requirements for:

Application Deadlines

  • For Spring semester (mid-January to mid-May):  November 15
  • For Summer term:  March 15
  • For Fall semester (mid-August through mid-December):  June 15

For important semester dates and other university deadlines, please visit the Course Schedule page and view the semester calendar under the desired semester or term.

English Proficiency Requirements

Undergraduate students whose native language is not English can meet Washburn's English Proficiency Requirement in multiple ways.

Two international students from Nepal smile for a photo.


Qualified F-1 international students who enroll full-time at Washburn University within one year of graduation from high school may be eligible for an International Freshman Merit Scholarship. Award amounts vary from $1,000 to $5,000 per academic year and are based on your high school GPA. Freshman merit scholarships are renewable for up to eight consecutive semesters.

ichabod statue

International Student Viewbook

View the Washburn University International Programs Viewbook

This helpful guide covers the following topics:

  • Application Process
  • Tuition & Fees
  • Scholarships
  • Academic Programs
  • Student Life

For current F-1 students at Washburn:

Concurrent Enrollment Form – for students who are taking courses at WU and another U.S. university at the same time 

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an immigration benefit for eligible F-1 students who are planning to participate in an off-campus internship.  Both of the forms below are required to complete.

International Mailing Form - for students who wish to have the Office of International Programs mail their diploma and/or transcript to their home country address by FedEx. The mailing fee is $60.

Health Insurance Waiver Request Form – for students who already have a health insurance policy equal to Washburn’s and want to apply for a waiver of the Washburn policy.

Non-Inclusion Waiver Form - for students who have completed some university credit in their home country but do not wish to transfer any of this credit to Washburn.

Off-Campus Employment Based on Severe Economic Hardship – for students experiencing financial difficulty due to circumstances beyond their control

Optional Practical Training (OPT) - Immigration benefit available to qualified F-1 students which allows them to gain practical experience in their field of study before (Pre-Completion OPT) or after (Post-Completion OPT) graduation.

Payment Options at Washburn - Please click on this link to learn more about payment options for tuition and on-campus housing, including more information about Flywire, for international bank/wire transfers.

Program Extension Request Form – for students who are requesting an extension of the end date of their current Form I-20

Reduced Course Load Request Form – for students requesting to enroll in less than a full-time course load during the current semester

Reinstatement – for students who have failed to maintain their F-1 status and want to apply to the US CIS to regain their F-1 status

Transfer Out Online Form – for current WU international students who wish to transfer out to another U.S. university.  Please also submit a copy of your acceptance letter to the new university to the Office of International Programs.

If you wish to request a letter or certificate to be prepared by the Office of International Programs, you may do so by completing our online request form. Please be aware that requests usually take two days to process.  The Office of International Programs will contact you at your WU e-mail address when the letter/certificate is ready to pick up, or we will scan the letter/certificate to you, if requested.
College-level courses completed outside the United States and recorded on official transcripts will be evaluated for transfer credit, provided that the tertiary institution where the courses were taken is accredited by the Ministry of Education (or its equivalent) in that country.

International students who have completed college-level courses outside the United States may be requested to submit proof of accreditation by the Ministry of Education and/or provide an evaluation from an authorized international credential evaluation agency such as Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) or World Education Services (WES). For students who have completed a baccalaureate or associate with a similar duration as a domestic baccalaureate or associate degree from an accredited international institution; courses satisfactorily completed in the Arts and Humanities, Social Sciences, and Natural Sciences and Mathematics will be accepted towards credit in the appropriate general education distribution area.

Department chairs determine how major courses will transfer and transfer students must provide appropriate documentation (course description and course syllabus) to the chairperson to make an informed decision.

Apply Now

After you have read and understood the admission information and are ready to submit an application, you may apply online by choosing an application below. 

Application Deadlines:

Fall (beginning mid-August) -- June 15
Summer (beginning end of May) -- April 1
Spring (beginning mid-January) -- November 15

GET IN TOUCH WITH International Programs

Office of International Programs
1700 SW College Ave.
Topeka, KS 66621

back to top button