Degrees & Certificates

Addiction Counseling

See below to learn about our Career Ladder in Addiction Counseling.


This certificate is constructed on the premise that a broader understanding of gerontology is critical to meet the needs of an aging society. Expanded career opportunities in gerontology are forecast in many areas, including healthcare, the helping professions, public policy, and more. Students in the health and helping professions may find this certificate particularly applicable to their career goals. 

Read more about the Certificate in Gerontology.

Non-Profit Management

This is an interdisciplinary certificate offered in collaboration with the Political Sciences department. For students interested in leadership and management in the helping professions, this certificate provides knowledge, skills, and practical experiences in non-profit management.

Learn more about our Certificate in Non-Profit Management

Trauma & Recovery

This certificate prepares students to work compassionately and effectively with survivors of trauma, including crime and assault, abuse, domestic violence, accidents, and natural disasters. Students in allied helping professions, such as Criminal Justice, Social Work, Psychology, Nursing, etc. may already have taken some courses that we can accept for transfer credit. Contact us to talk about potential transfer courses.

Read more about Certificate in Trauma & Recovery 

Gainful Employment

Associate of Arts, AA

Bachelor of Applied Science, BAS

Minor in Family & Human Services

Students interested in a minor in Family & Human Services will work with an advisor to select 15 credit hours of Family & Human Services coursework based on individual interests and career goals.

Family & Human Services/Addiction Counseling

Master of Arts, MA

  • Online
  • 36 Credit Hours
  • Full or Part-time Enrollment

The Master of Arts in Family & Human Services/Addiction Counseling offers 100% online coursework, with fieldwork in your own community. We are approved by NAADAC and the Kansas Behavioral Sciences Regulatory Board (BSRB) to provide the educational curriculum required to become a Licensed Masters Addiction Counselor (LMAC). We also work with students from other states. Students who wish to pursue a license in another state are responsible for learning that state's requirements. Our Addiction Counseling coursework is based solely on Kansas educational requirements. Students attempting to meet educational regulations of other states should check with their state to ensure that Washburn University offers the courses they need to be eligible for licensure in their home states.  Any student hoping to start our program in addiction counseling while living in another state must sign an attestation form regarding licensure expectations.

Learn more about the Master of Arts in Family & Human Services - Addiction Counseling

The Family & Human Services Department offers a career ladder in addiction counseling that prepares students for state certificate/licensure at the Associate’s, Bachelor’s and Master’s levels. Our program is approved by the Kansas Behavioral Sciences Regulatory Board (BSRB) and NAADAC. If you are not from Kansas, please contact your state licensing board to see if we meet your needs.

Associate’s Degree: Our Associate’s degree in Family & Human Services (with the inclusion of HS 323, Service Coordination, as an elective) qualifies students to apply for certification as a Person Centered Case Manager (PCCM) with the Kansas Department of Aging and Disability Services. Courses may be taken online or face-to-face (or both). Internships may be completed at an approved addiction counseling agency in your home community. All courses in the Associate’s degree may be applied to the next step in the career ladder: the Bachelor’s Degree. 

Learn more about the Associate's degree in Family & Human Services

Bachelor’s Degree/Certificate in Addiction Counseling: In order to become a Licensed Addiction Counselor (LAC) in Kansas with the BSRB, you need a Bachelor's degree and 33 credit hours of specific coursework in addiction counseling. We offer a Bachelor's degree in Family & Human Services with an emphasis in addiction counseling that includes these 33 credit hours. For students who already have a Bachelor's degree but don't have the necessary addiction courses, we offer a 33 credit hour Certificate in Addiction Counseling to prepare you to sit for the LAC examination. We may be able to accept some previous coursework from other universities toward our Certificate if this coursework is in-line with BSRB requirements. Classes may be taken online or face-to-face (or both). Internships may be completed at an approved addiction counseling agency in your home community. (Note: students who have an LBSW should contact the department to learn more about the fast-track option for getting a LAC).

Learn more about the Addiction counseling certificate

Learn more about the Bachelor's degree in Family & Human Services - Addiction Counseling

Master’s Degree: For students who already have a bachelor’s degree, we offer a Master's degree in Family & Human Services with an emphasis in Addiction Counseling that provides the coursework students need to become Licensed Masters Addiction Counselors (LMAC) and Licensed Clinical Addiction Counselors (LCAC) in Kansas. This program is 36 credit hours and fully online.

Learn more about the Master's degree in Family & Human Services - Addiction Counseling

GET IN TOUCH WITH Family & Human Services

Family & Human Services
Benton Hall, Room 311
1700 SW College Ave.
Topeka, KS 66621

Phone & Email
Ph: 785.670.2116

back to top button